Friday, October 17, 2014

abiding

Day 17 of




This time last year I was doing an intense amount of reading/studying/journaling, and at some point read through John 15. While reading, one word kept jumping out at me until I finally looked up its definition. That day started a shift and a change in my heart in how I look at my relationship with Christ. Honestly it's probably not new to most people, but it was a lightbulb moment for me. In conversation with a friend, she shared that she feels like her lightbulb moments are not really impressive, as in not really anything earth shattering to most people, and I assured her that she was not the only one who felt that. This might be a perfect example of that, because as you read this I'm sure it's something you look at and say well yeah of course you're supposed to do that. 

However if you happened to struggle with it occasionally or like I do, somewhat hourly, let this be an encouragement to you.

When one looks at John 15 they might recollect the vine and branches scripture. That He is the vine and we are the branches and that we cannot bear fruit apart from Him. This was a very familiar verse to me that I had read numerous times but this time one word stood out that I had only before glanced over and didn't really think much about. That word is
Abide

There were two definitions I came across:

1. accept or act in accordance with (a rule, decision, or recommendation)
synonyms:   comply with, obey, observe, follow, keep to, hold to, conform to,adhere to, stick to, stand by, act in accordance with, uphold, heed,accept, go along with, acknowledge, respect, defer to 

There is not another person we should accept or act in accordance with above Christ. Just look at that list of synonyms and imagine how much different your actions and decisions would be if those were the first things you thought about before anything!

2. (of a feeling or a memory) continue without fading or being lost.
synonyms: continue, remain, survive, last, persist, stay, live on 

As for the second one, holy smokes! My heart near about burst with joy at the thought. When going through a period where nothing seemed as it was supposed to be. When praying that I could rejoice, hope, love and be satisfied in the Lord alone 

but having no idea how to truly do it. This brought it all together for me. Christ will always continue without fading or being lost. He will continue, remain, He survived, lasts, persists and stays. He is all of those things that I want and need and all I have to do is stay with him. To Abide in the shadow of His wings.

My exact thought when I read this the first time was "Talk about a word that feels like a warm blanket, cozy socks and roaring fire all in one! To Abide in Christ, in his love, sacrifice, plan, purpose, perfection, his life. I am so thankful for a Savior who asks me to abide in him totally and completely. To feel wanted and protected, guided and held fast."

The word Abide has become a balm to my soul, a quick five letter word that sends my mind directly where it should, towards the One in whom I abide. It has become a pathway that I trail over and over again so that it will become a habit, an involuntary action of life's journey. I am going to continue to pray to Abide in Him every day, in the everyday things, in the special things, in everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment