Sunday, April 15, 2018

bible in a year: week 15

This year a goal has been set to read the entirety of God's word and there is a host of women joining in on the journey.  Failure is always an option as we are each imperfect people but it is never a reason to give up!  Whether each day is done without fail, catch ups are needed, or some have to stop for a variety of reasons, each word read, no matter how many, will lead us to grow in wisdom, grace, and fellowship with both us and our creator.

It took less than a day of reading to get a deeper understanding of why one can study the bible for a lifetime and still glean new things.  In truth a lifetime is not enough.  As Saint Augustine said, "The bible is shallow enough for a child not to drown, yet deep enough for an elephant to swim.  Each verse opens up a new thought, a new question, a new understanding of what God has done and sometimes a confusion of why He is doing it.  In moments of questions research is good but there are times where I need to submit to His authority remembering what A.W. Tozer said in his book Pursuit of God, "God will not hold us responsible to understand the mysteries of election, predestination, and the divine sovereignty.  The best and safest way to deal with these truths is to raise our eyes to God and in deepest reverence say, "O Lord, Thou knowest." Those things belong to the deep and mysterious Profound of God's omniscience.  Prying into them may make theologians, but it will never make saints."


We made it past the 100 day mark this week!  Triple digits!


Leviticus 13-19

Ahem, so, Leviticus this week was full of information.  It was not information I wanted to read while eating breakfast, but I didn't know it at the time.  Nothing like a chapter on skin diseases to boost the appetite.  In a brief summary Chapter 13 was on skin disease, 14 was cleansing skin disease, 15 was bodily discharges, 16 was putting all your sins on a goat and releasing it into the wild, 17 was not eating an animal's lifeblood, 18 was who and what not to have sex with, and 19 was a little more clarification on the specifics of the ten commandments.  

I am not saying this to make fun, because all of this information was very beneficial and VERY needed!  You don't tell a man not to have sex with his sister unless someone is doing it.  I'm just saying.  As a mama I understand all too clearly the needed to say phrases you never ever thought you would have to say.  I didn't know I needed to have told my three year old to not stick his head in a toilet.  I didn't know I needed to have told my six year old to not ride his bike down the street and take things out of our neighbors mailboxes.  I didn't know I needed to say that, but God knew exactly what he needed to say.  And he said it so we would not only clearly know His expectations, but to also save us from the consequences of living a life apart from His commands.  

We are depraved individuals, without God's law people run amok.  Without the Holy Spirit's guidance we do the same thing.  But in the middle of all these chapters of yuck and no-nos there was a scapegoat.  Once a year placed upon this animal were the sins of all and they were cast into the uninhabitable places.  Once a year the Israelites saw their sins taken away, were trained to watch as they were carried on the back of another.  For generations and generations this happened and they were expectant and anticipated that day.  And it trained their hearts and minds to recognize and comprehend the sacrifice of Jesus when it came.  Those with eyes saw that ultimate scapegoat and praised God for eternal atonement.

Thank you Jesus.


Psalm 15-24

There were some beautiful Psalms this week.  David prayed for protection in 17 and praised God for his deliverance in 18.  I love these back to back.  Prayer and answer.  God heard and immediately David praised him for it.  I love reading David's exact words, because no matter what they are and from which emotion he is writing, there on paper are his conversations with his creator.  We get to look back and see it.  Journaling prayers was a daily occurence for me until this year.  I haven't quite figured out how to fit in all the reading in the morning along with prayer journlaing.  I guess I should say instead, I haven't taken the extra time to do it.  David's Psalms this week have pricked the desire in my heart to start again.  To write my own praises to look back on as reminders of prayers and answers and thanksgivings and praises.

My favorite thing this week was from Psalm 20.  In five short words God gave me a clarity I haven't felt in months.  I will share with you here what I already shared in other media...



I wake up each morning with a different schedule, piecing together randomness from the countless areas of life. Not still a mom with children at home all day, but not yet a mom who goes off to work either. This middle has been a struggle, a struggle I did not expect. It's caused grief, it's caused guilt, it's caused confusion. What is the answer to give when asked the question "so what do you do?" What am I supposed to do? 

I read Psalm 20 this morning and at the end of verse 4 it says he will fulfill your whole purpose. My whole purpose. We have purpose and He promises to fulfill it.

Right now, on the journey to my whole purpose, I am beginning to understand that God is asking me to just be available. Depending on the week, sometimes this feels lazy and selfish and then sometimes it feels crazy and overwhelming. 

I don't say this to fish for encouragement for myself, but to give it out to you. I don't know what your feelings are on this. Is it a struggle for you, is it not. Just know that your purpose is being fulfilled, right now in this moment, whether you can see it or not. Praying for you to see.


Proverbs 27-31

Here are some certain Proverbs that stood out to me this week.  Some seemed new, others just need to be more constant reminders.

* Let another praise you, and not your own mouth
* Iron sharpens iron, and one person sharpens another (fun fact, I got to tell the boys this was from the bible when they heard it on a Ninjago episode!)
* The one who conceals his sin will not prosper but whoever confesses and renounces them will find mercy
* Every word of God is pure!
* Give me neither poverty nor wealth, feed me with the food I need.
* Speak up for those who have no voice
* She rewards with good, no evil
* She rises while it is still night and provides food for her household
* She draws on her strength and reveals that her arms are strong
* Her hands reach out to the poor and she extends her hands to the needy
* Strength and honor are her clothing and she can laugh at the time to come.  Her mouth speaks wisdom and loving instruction is on her tongue.  She watches over the activities of her household and is never idle.
* Charm is deceiving and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised.


Ecclesiastes 1-2

"I have seen all things that are under the sun and have found everything to be futile, a pursuit to the wind."

Solomon is explaining to us how nothing we create, make, do, accomplish, or acquire on this Earth will last.  It is all futile, all a vapor.  When we leave this Earth none of it comes with us.  


I just happened to visit an Estate Sale down the street from my house this week as I was reading Solomon's words.  As I walked around this beautiful old home with it's charms and looked at the items that had been left behind for the rest of us to pick through this words felt very alive, they rung very true.  It's not bad to buy pretty things, it's bad to assume they will complete you.  This goes for wisdom, good business, pleasures, and all the other categories Ecclesiastes will cover in the next few days.

There is only one thing that can fulfill us!


2 Thessalonians 1-3

I know it's obnoxiously trendy right now but when I think about the church at Thessalonica it's #goals.  Paul's words in vs 3 are "your faith is flourishing and the love each one of you has for one another is increasing" and for that Paul wants to thank them.  I mean, they get it.  They get the gospel.  They heard and understand and you know it by their fruit!

At the end of this short letter in 3:11 he gives them a great reminder, be busy not busybodies.  I stopped and took stock of myself in that respect.  Am I busying myself with the work of God or am I being a busybody?  Sometimes they can look the same, only our heart knows which is which.


1 Timothy 1-4

I try to read Timothy as if I am him and am getting a letter from my mentor full of instruction and encouragement because truly that is what it is.  A wiser, more seasoned apostle discipling another so that he can carry on.  There is plenty in these four chapters to share, plenty to reread and remember and apply.  But one thing in particular stuck out to me.  This year I have written a lot about gifts, spiritual gifts, and again this week the topic came up again.  4:14 says "Don't neglect the gift that is in you." Timothy was being timid, not quite speaking out to his fullness because of age and experience and many other things I am sure.  Paul reminds him and therefore reminds us to not neglect the gift that is in us.  God put it there and He put it there to be used and we must have faith that He is the one who will work through that gift, but we must put it to use for that to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment