Friday, January 19, 2018

for when it snows

We're on Snow Day #3 here in Oxford, GA though there was only snow on the ground during the first of these three.  Now, slick ice in the farthest reaches of the counties forever masked in shadows have kept many of us from school yet again and our boys are currently building all the legos and I am avoiding that room like the plague so that my intense OCD and mothery characteristics do not come out in full force.  I'll send the dad down there to help later on.  He's much better at calmly looking at chaos.

                       

Wednesday morning we woke up to, not only snow falling from the sky, but layers of it sticking to the ground creating a beautiful white blanket over it all.  In Georgia, falling snow is one thing, still being alive once it hits the ground is quite another, and to have both at the same time is what southern snow deprived dreams are made of.  While sharing a video in my instastory of our yard covered in it's first--while we have owned it--snowfall, a friend commented on how beautiful our yard is.  Knowing how many things I wasn't able to get to this fall as far as yard work goes and how much work is left to do before it becomes what I envision in my head, I had to immediately agree.  All the faults I usually see from the weeds, to the dilapidated boxwoods, to the overgrown holly, looked magical draped in that winter white.   Is it a wonder that a certain verse crept itself into my mind?


...Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Psalm 51:7

David did not believe he would be washed white as snow, but that he would be washed whiter than snow.  See, the thing is, that that snow around our home melted as soon as the sun began to beat down on it revealing underneath the same, albeit soggier, ground that was there before.  That beautiful blanket covering all the faults disappeared and the true likeness reappeared.

Colossians 3:3 says "for you have died and your life is hidden in Christ.  Not hidden by Christ, but hidden in.  We are not just walking around wearing a Jesus suit that can melt away when the intense elements beat down.  When God looks at us, we do not have to make sure we are perfectly blocked by Christ much like a little kid hiding behind a tree during a neighborhood game of hide and seek.  We are hidden in Christ.  When God looks at us He sees His son.  We are perfectly covered, washed whiter than even the most beautiful snow.  


This is not a new truth, but like all of them, can be easily forgotten as we tread on through life.  I pray that it will be a perfectly timed reminder for you whenever it is needed most, pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment